Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Who is the Lucky One?

For almost two years we have been blessed to be a permanent foster home for Hank. Aka Hammerin Hank, Mr.Hanky, Swanky Hanky, Hankity Spankity. We are the luckiest people in the world to get to love him.

For those who may not know, Hank Mast Cell tumors. His long-term prognosis was never good as far as longevity goes. But his joy in life simply astounds me. No, he hasn't crossed the bridge, so put those Kleenex away.

For the first time we are seeing rapid changes in his tumor. It feels like the hard days are on the horizon. So it frightens me that we're not doing enough for him. Yet, we are his stewards, we love him and his comfort is paramount. I keep reminding myself, if he's eating, active and a dufus it's all good. So I cherish those moments. When that changes we'll take another journey with him. Always knowing we were the lucky ones in his life.

2 comments:

Celia said...

Keep the faith. Keep the love. Give Hankie a hug everyday and enjoy him.

Jan said...

We loved him too, but could never have asked for a better mom than you. I just remember the day I picked him up and carried him from the pound, he certainly had the will to live and love for a lot longer than I ever expected. I still need that kleenex, though.