Sunday, February 6, 2011

Snow Memories

I saw the cutest thing yesterday and it took me right back. Back to where you wonder? Back to my childhood, back to the funny farm, back to the future. Some things just warm your heart by the memory of them.

There were three kids playing in the yard behind us in snow suits. It's been forever since I've seen young kids living in that rental property. Much less seeing young kids playing in snow. Takes me back to my own kids who donned snow suits, mittens and hats at the first sign of snow. I used to have to call them in from snow play, rather than beg them to go out in it.

Free time revolved around snow forts, snow ball fights, snow men, sledding, snow boots....scarfs, long johns and all the winter necessities. They loved to play in the snow. At night they would stockpile snow balls and hide behind the house when they knew their Dad would be arriving from work to ambush him. All those memories flooded back at the sight of two boys and a little girl in a pink snow suit in the neighbors yard.

Granted I was not as enchanted when they ventured over into our yard. My worry there is the dogs. Kids and dogs are unpredictable, even with wonderful dogs like mine. So I plan to monitor that situation. It may not be an issue at all, time will tell.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the deja vu of kids in snow suits....and thinking how many cups of hot cocoa I have made over the years....

No comments: