Monday, August 31, 2009

Brains - Or Lack There Of

I am fairly certain there are times in life when the body continues to function, but the brain is not keeping up. Sometimes we say we are on autopilot, or cruise control, or just coasting. Other times we say the lights are on but nobody is home.

I also believe that when a woman gives birth that part of the brain is expelled with the placenta. That explains how women are able to give birth more than once. In recent days I've discovered that part of the brain gets lost when you are grieving. It's too soon to tell if you find that part again, I sure hope so.

It gives me new appreciation for the comment "I don't know where my brain is". I know it's up there somewhere, but it seems to be out of the country.

Birth and death have a profound affect on our hearts. So maybe when our hearts are full, from either joy or pain, the brain gets put on "pause". All this would explain why I couldn't get the safe open at work over the weekend. I know the combination forward, backward and inside out. But my brain kept getting in the way and I just wasn't doing it right. Then to compensate I started thinking really hard which didn't help matters either.

I figure I'll get back on track sooner or later. Okay, probably later rather than sooner. As much as work is a diversion, it's also a challenge when my body shows up for it, but my brain is MIA.

No comments: