Saturday, August 22, 2009

Gone Home

The distance between the here, and the hereafter, is less than a heartbeat, softer than a sigh, quicker than a breath. And that is exactly how my Mom went home today.

That pretty much says it all. Except that I have a new understanding of devotion, tolerance, of holding a hand and letting go of a heart all at the same time.

I have the utmost admiration of those who work in nursing homes. Who day in and day out tend the sick and dying. Mom had her favorites, and they shared how much they cared for her. Sometimes we wondered whose Mom they were referring to. Some of us, from time-to-time knew her prickly side, but didn't let that stop us for tending to her during this time. It was good to hear of her being loving and appreciative to those who cared for her during this last journey.

Through these last day's I've had many visions of how people cross over after death. Not the least of which is the phrase we so often use with our beloved pets. We say they have crossed the bridge. As she wasn't a huge animal lover I seriously doubt she crossed that bridge.

But she did cross from here to there, wherever there is. It was swift and gentle, and she was surrounded by love. It was, I must say, a privilege to be part of that.

1 comment:

csynco56 said...

I'm sorry for your loss.