Saturday, August 8, 2009

Prayers

At any given moment, I find there is a prayer on the tip of my tongue. Some go like this....Lord, please don't let me be the pain in the ass some of my family say I am. Lord, if it is your will, please let Hank enjoy a long happy life in our care. Lord, I know you want me to be patient and faith filled, can it happen sooner rather than later? Lord, it's hot out. Phffewww, are we lucky to have air conditioning and fans

Then there are prayers like this....Lord, may the God's of Karma smite that buzzard in a big way. Lord, perhaps that person could use a little more suffering for what they have done to me. Could you give them a double dose? I know, we shouldn't pray this way, but sometimes it just happens. Like this, Lord, that stinker (insert expletive of choice) just cut me off in traffic, what an ****idiot.

Or there are prayers of thanks. Thank you for the food we eat, the roof over our head, for our jobs. Thank you for freedom, and choice, and freedom of choice. Thank you for our children, please bless them and guide them in to your door.

We try to pray when we sit down to eat. We take turns, although, admittedly sometimes we pray it's the other person's turn to pray. We don't pray together daily, like we should. Often times we don't get to even sit down together to eat, much less pray.

At the end of the day, or the beginning, or for that matter anywhere in between. We have much to be grateful for and prayer, in whatever form, is entirely appropriate. I am blessed to love and be loved, to live in my doggy dog world, to give (I hope) more than I take. And I pray, that I used your words and love to touch others.

2 comments:

cacky said...

This is so 'real' and very nicely put..thank you.

N. Bachmann said...

Thanks Cacky!