Sunday, May 9, 2010

Momming

Mom, Mommy, Momma, dog Mom, Momism's, Mother (said in a teenager's voice smacked with attitude). Naturally today I'm pondering motherhood. If someone asked what it feels like to be a Mom, I'd have to say exhausting. Oh, wait, maybe I'm just exhausted and I'm transferring that feeling over to everything else.

These days I focus my "mothering" skills on the dogs. Although Reno would probably call them "s-mothering" skills and say I practice on him too. What can I say, once a Mother, always a Mother. He might also say my Mothering resembles nagging, and come to think of it my kids might agree.

When my kids were little I'd always call them (drag them) out to the garden to see my perennial hibiscus in bloom. The large saucer-like blossoms always fascinated me. Hence, it should fascinate them. It must have. It tickles me to know that each place they live they plant a hibiscus. Proof that the seeds we plant do take root.

Isn't that what we want as Mother's? To see those we love planted, grow and blossom. Whether they are two legged, or four legged, it matters not. And yes, that gift gives way more than one could ever dream of.

No comments: