Saturday, May 22, 2010

New Directions

Every so often we switch directions. Sometimes by choice, sometimes by chance, sometimes because we just have too. Many times we drag our heels, or put it off as long as we have too. Often when we unclench our teeth and release our death grip great things happen.

Rescue is like that. We get a dog in, we fall in love, we find them a home, and we let them go. We learn with them, we laugh with them, we cry when they go. They move on, and we never forget them.

Adopting Mickey got me started with Pointer Rescue Organization. He was nine months old and now he's going on 8 yrs old (I think - math is not my strong point). Time flies when you are raising kids and helping dogs. Pointers have opened more doors for me than I could ever count, if I could count that is.

Now we are going another new direction. On the journey we will embrace another whole pointer family. New licensing requirements by the state of NE for rescues are causing Pointer Rescue to suspend fostering activities here. Great Plains Pointer Rescue, a licenced state run rescue organization, is taking Sophie and I under their wing. As they say "bird-dogs of a feather must stick together". GPPR specializes in German Shorthair Pointers & Their Cousins. I sure hope we can be a favorite cousin. I will foster Sophie for GPPR and Sophie gets her profile on their website, and as a referral on Pointer Rescue's website. Double the exposure for her - that's a win-win situation.

I will still assist Pointer Rescue as I am able by being a blogging pointer advocate, as the Incoming Dog Coordinator for IA, WY & UT, with fund raising and poking pointer fun every chance I get. I figure I'll have twice the doggy family to bless my doggy-dog world.

New directions expand our world. Hello pointer world....we're ready if you are.

No comments: