Friday, May 14, 2010

Peace in the Garden

Every year I have the opportunity to plant patio pots for a friend of mine. Truthfully it's a bit like landscaping in the Garden of Eden. It feels like Eden. With the patio surrounded by dwarf lilacs in bloom, it smelled like it. There is a water feature, so I worked to the sound of water trickling. I should almost pay her to let me do the work for her.

And, yes, there are dogs. It was a hard winter for them too, with the loss of their English Springer Spaniel. Planting was just not the same without Toby constantly dropping a tennis ball into the pot I am planting. I don't mind interruptions like that. We should all be open to playing at the drop of a hat (or ball) just that easily.

Thinking of her pots reminds me of Pete. I was finishing up that planting project several years ago when his new owners flew out to meet him. Some people measure time by years, I do by dogs.

One really can't ask for better working conditions. Flowers, dogs, quiet, the music of water falling, fragrance. Ah, the process of planting. All manner of growth can come from that. And it does......

No comments: