Sunday, May 2, 2010

Hogs

I forget sometimes that not all people share the sofa with dogs. So I'd like to make a blanket apology to past guests in our house, or any future guests who may visit and find themselves in contention for using space the dogs think is their own. A direct apology to Jo who experienced this last night. Some people have pillows to lean up against, we have Mr. Hanky.

In Hank's defense, he was on the sofa first, and Jo sat down in front of him so she could have a little meet and greet with Sophie. In Jo's defense, she had no idea what a sofa hog and attention ho Mr. Hanky can be. And in my defense? Wow, how rude of me to not make Hank move so my guest could be more comfortable. Boy howdy, I missed that one. I do apologize.

It got me thinking how we compensate for people and pets sometimes. I tolerate more of Hank's attention seeking behavior because I know he probably won't have a long life span to soak up all that good loving. That's all good and fine for me, but perhaps not the most guest friendly behavior. I tolerate a little more of Sophie's rowdy moments because they are such an improvement from time's she'd barely move out of fear. Sometimes you have to go from one extreme to the other and then settle in middle ground.

For Hank the middle ground is the better part of the sofa and the lap of anyone on it. I love that. But, I'll be more aware that not everyone does. Hank sometimes tries to get so close you'd swear he wants inside your skin. Sometimes he almost gets there. Thank goodness my friend likes dogs, even ones who are sofa hogs.

No comments: