Thursday, November 25, 2010

Life Changing Experiences


It was one of those gifts life sometimes presents to you. After all, it's not everyday (thank God!) that you drive off a one lane mountain road backwards, plunge 150' and walk away from it. It was a moment of terror that was orchestrated by the hands of hundreds of angels who guided our journey. This happened five days ago and I/we are still trying to wrap our head around it. Why did it happen, why did we survive, what are the gifts this experience brings us.

Life is like this. Ordinary one moment, extraordinary the next. The angels come in many shapes and sizes. Some are two footed, many in my life are four footed. They can be complete strangers or dear friends. They may be fleeting encounters or life-long companions.

I have a greater compassion for those road-side crosses people built for those who did not survive. Emergency responders said "wow, we almost never get to stand around and talk to people who go off the road around here". I would like to hope we wouldn't need such a dramatic event to draw us to gratitude.

But sometimes events like this happen. Life changing events. Some just walk away, some walk away infused with gratitude. I know which camp I fall in.

So on this Thanksgiving Day - I have a list of things I'm thankful for that is too long to include in this blog. Perhaps a lifetime would not be long enough to express them all. It will be my goal to try and I begin that with a profound "thank you God".

2 comments:

Janicekg said...

OMG! I was wondering where you've been. Thankfully you did walk away.

marcbachelet said...

Wow.... I is amazing...Thank you my friend to do such a walk away...

Thanking you
Marc Bachelet
aboutdogsandpets.com