Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Apologies to the Horse


Remember that little girl who adored horses and wanted one in the worst way? She ate, drank and slept horses. The closest she ever got was owning a stick horse. She joined a 4-H group for horses even though she never owned one. In 4-H discussions she new as much about horses as one could learn from books. Just being close to them and talking them was her bliss. Perhaps I forgot to mention that girl is me.

Fast forward to now. A friend of mine is the grown up version of that little girl She invited me to go riding with her. At first I was excited, then I was fearful. In fact, I was relieved when my schedule delayed our ride! But then the time was right and I had the courage to go for it. My only comment at this point is my apologies to the horse!

I had a great time! Although, at first I was just happy to sit in the saddle. Alright, I was delighted I was able launch myself into the saddle. I asked if there was a hydraulic lift to get me up there. I was told there was a saddle block. I thought that was a kind of anesthetic. That might have been helpful too. The horse stood there like a statue while I settled in. Okay, I could have just sat there for two hours and been happy. But my friend was less enthralled with that method of riding.

So off we went. May I say it was a great time. Yes, I'd do it again. Plus, 9 days later all my tender spots are gone! I am not a woos, I am not a woos! It was simply the equine version of the Princess and the Pea.

However, if horse had the option to take me for a ride again, he might just feign colic. Kudos to the horse for being both experienced and patient. For being sure footed and well mannered. Thanks to my riding partners for taking good care of this tender foot. And, for the timely advice to try to always keep the horse between me and the ground. Good advice, good friends, good fun.....and one happy little rider.

No comments: