Thursday, December 23, 2010

Slow Introductions

We have been slowly introducing the puppies to Mick, Hank and Sophie. Sophie is the most interested, Hank second to Sophie. And Mick? Hey? Where is Mick hiding? We don't want to overload the "residents" with the "visitors".

I will say Hank is less grumbly about the invasion than at first. That's progress. Although I'm absolutely certain all three are cursing under their breath about the injustice of their arrival. We keep telling them it's only for a little while.

I have to wonder at the huge adjustment the pups have been through in the last few days. To go from being with 20 puppies in the huddle to just two is probably a rude awakening. There is definitely not as much coverage when they snuggle in to sleep. And, what if, in the litter these two weren't exactly bosom buddies? "Hey? How'd I get stuck with you?" "What's up with this? Mom always liked you best?" "Oh ya? Well did anyone tell you that you're a kibble hog?" Children....children...hush....

For us it's an adventure in puppy wrangling. I can see that Reno must have been an awesome partner to raise kids with. Almost makes me want another....ah, ummmm, well ......no, never mind. I will say we've broken the only one foster at a time rule in a big way, and Reno just rolls with it. In spite of all the madness you have to love a man who serenades puppies. Our roles are shifting, he's the nurturer and I'm happy to clean up the kitchen. No, this won't last, I can absolutely guarantee that.

Just like I can guarantee that about the time our dogs accept the puppies as "normal life" in this doggy dog world, that they will begin moving on to their forever homes. Our three will probably do the happy dance when that day comes. Until then it's a bit crazy around here. Crazy in a good way, in a this too shall pass way, in a dang those puppies are cute way.

No comments: