Monday, November 2, 2009

Dogged Determination

As a foster home nothing is better than an update on your former foster. I've been incredibly blessed by my friendship with Pete's new owners. I get pictures regularly, although I think I'm about due for some, hint, hint, hint. But I get personal updates on the owners as well. I enjoy knowing what's going on in Pete's family.

I could not have chosen a better home for Pete. Yes, this little city girl was worried about Pete going to the big city. Pete, and his four footed female friend Lucy, live the good life in New York City. I've been to visit them - that's how lucky I am. Lucy just turned 14. Amazing, huh? She is not a pointer, but is lucky enough to live with one. She may have a different version of that, but I'm not asking her.

Here is how lucky these dogs are. Lucy, beloved senior that she is, recently had a leg injury making walks impossible. So what does one do in that case? Well, she got carried, that's what happened. Mind you she's probably a 50 lb dog. Of course, it's a challenge to carry one dog and walk another in the city. So he took them out one at a time. Walking one, carrying the other. Talk about dogged determination.

That is the sort of owner I want to be. That is absolutely the type of home I want my fosters to go to, and the type of person I want my kids to marry. When you really love someone or something, you make those sacrifices. Except, it's not a sacrifice, it's a privilege.

No comments: