Sunday, November 1, 2009

Never Enough Time

In going through my Mom's things I've discovered the following. We never talked enough about food. And, if I had been even remotely inclined to be a cleaning guru she could have been my mentor.

We keep finding boxes, folders, envelopes, trays, piles, closets, corners and cupboards chock full of recipes and notes for how to clean things. She was the queen of clipping recipes. Absolutely the queen. So many recipes so little time. She also had the worlds largest collection of cleaning supplies. Shelves devoted to cleaning products. I kid you not.

She can be proud of her kids. We are all good cooks. Scratch that, we are excellent cooks. All three of my brothers do most the cooking in their households. We all like to eat and one might as well eat well. At least that is my personal philosophy. I don't recall any really bad recipes Mom cooked. Now, Dad, that's another story. He made yeast rolls so hard you could skip them across the Missouri River. He made Hunters Stew, which I recall distastefully. But he tried, which was impressive for a man of his generation. He clipped recipes too. I find that rather impressive.

Cooking is one of those universal topics. A safe conversation in a time we strive for political discretion. Oh wait, isn't that a misnomer? Ahhh, but cooking?? Who can't relate in some way to cooking.

She loved recipes like I love dogs. And there is never enough time for that which we love, is there?

No comments: