Tuesday, November 24, 2009

No Way

There is just no way to say goodbye to beloved pets twice in one week.  I cannot fathom it, even though I'm living it.

First Kobe, now Maddie.  The ultimate joy of loving them also brings the ultimate pain of letting them go.  It's why some people refuse to love again.  I hear them say "oh, it's too hard, I won't do it again".  And I say no way.   

I would not give up the joy of tossing the ball for Maddie, or the eeeww factor when she'd prance back with the slobbery ball.  I would not miss the comfort of her snuggling into the curve of my back at night, although a few times I admit the warmth was unbearable.  I would never choose to miss helping an old dog up or down the stairs because some day I would hurt because of their passing.  For every time I scrubbed carpets,  cleaned up dog hair, scooped poop or spent close to my last dime on them I received a thousand times more unconditional love then I've ever been able to give.  Why would anyone miss out on an opportunity like that????

So, yet again, we release a gentle soul to the heavens.  Yet again, we find a place in the garden to bury a special friend.  Again, we cry.  Because we loved, and because we will love again.

RIP Prince Kobe and Maddie Sooner Simmonds.  You were well loved.

No comments: