Thursday, November 26, 2009

Sentimental Journey

As we were washing the china after Thanksgiving dinner tonight, I wondered aloud how many dinners had been served over the years on my Great Grandmother's china.  I'm guessing I've served on it for at least 30 years.  Yes, it takes a little more work to hand wash them, but to me it's worth it.  Things that require an investment of your heart always are.

We feasted like kings and feel as sated as Humpty Dumpty right now.  Luckily we ate so much none of us have the energy to climb up to sit on any walls.  It's been a tough holiday, and yet, we are lucky indeed.  We've had many losses, but our blessings continue to exceed them. 

I admit to getting weepy during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and the dog show that followed.  I'm just like that, sentimental and soft hearted.  At times these tendencies don't serve me well in life.  But, as Popeye said "I yam what I yam".

Come Christmas the litter of lab puppies my Granddog sired will arrive.    I suppose that will make me a Great Grandmother of sorts.  New life and new journeys always make me misty.  That is another part of loving, making room for new beginnings. 

I know that my Mother, Sidney, Maddie and Kobe would all encourage me to shed the tears and then to love again.  I too, know it's only a matter of time until another sentimental journey begins for me. 

No comments: