Monday, November 30, 2009

Foster Needs

Our "foster needs" list is always too long.  There is always another dog, or two or three, or more, needing that golden opportunity called a foster home.  Sure, you think, I "need" another dog in the house like I "need" a hole in the head.  I promise fostering is more fun than that! 

Can I ask a blunt question?  What are YOU waiting for?  Sure it's the holidays, sure it takes some work, sure it involves opening your heart to a big unknown.  What's your point? 

As the year ends we always take stock of how our life went over the last 12 months or so.  We look ahead to big changes, new beginnings, "do overs" so to speak.  Who wouldn't like some second chances? That is what working in rescue, and in particular fostering, gives us.

Hank is our current foster.  He's a permanent foster, so I admit to a little envy watching adoption applications come in and dog's going to their forever home.  Perhaps I'm envious because I know how awesome Hank is, but I also recognize that with his cancer he is not very adoptable.  But, and there is always a but, he is totally lovable, in a high energy, happy-go-lucky, semi-dufus Mr. Hanky kind of way. I wouldn't trade this time with Hank for anything.  His second chance enhances our life every single day.

Open your heart, open your door, your pocket book (hey, I'm a realist here!) to fostering.  The second chances you get in the process are amazing, and the second chances you give are priceless.

No comments: