Sunday, November 22, 2009

Prince Kobe

I know dogs don't have living wills and medical directives.  But, they depend on us to act as if they do.  Kobe and I had a deal and today I held up my end of the bargain.
There is a medical phrase called palliative care.  In the "we love our pets like life itself" world let me redefine that.  "Pal" = best friend, buddy, beloved companion.  Palli - "ative" sounds like part of the word relative, except that my canine pals are closer to me than some of my relatives.

Therefore, in my doggydog world palliative care means never letting my dogs suffer.  Kobe had plenty of suffering in his life before Pointer Rescue.  He had the worst of worlds and then the best of worlds.  He was not defeated by the worst and thrived in the best.

So when a major health crisis presented itself I knew which road I had to take.  Yes, we could have challenged the veterinary world and it's technology to buy a little more time.  But my time with Kobe was best spent in comfort and joy not suffering.

In the end, it is better to say I love you and softly release a gentle soul to the heavens.  It was a promise I both made and kept for Prince Kobe. 

No comments: