Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cleaning House

Cleaning out my Mom's house has been an on-going project.  Coupled by the fact that I'm a keeper, not a tosser.  It's hard to throw things away.  I can't do it to animals, to family treasures, to memorable items.

Nearly all my dogs were "throw aways", and look what absolute treasures they have been!  Every time I go to Mom's there are just a few more things I need to bring home.  Silly things, useful things, old things, kitchen things, collectible things -  you name it, she had it, and the box it came in.

For probably 40 years she had a statue of robins on the ledge of her dining room window.  Turns out it was a gift from my brother.  Those robins must have tried to take flight a few times as there are numerous places they've been repaired.  My brother doesn't want them.   I don't need them, have no place for them, but danged if I can pitch them.  I may have to delegate that task for a day when I'm not there.

Funny how we cling to that which invokes memories.  Bit by bit we're cleaning house.  Bit by bit we are walking down memory lane.  And yes, a little bit of those things are finding their way home with me.  I think that's just fine and exactly how she would want it.

No comments: