Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sturdy Chairs

I've been pondering the concept of sentimentalism.  Now, I'm pondering if there is such a word as sentimentalism.  You know what I mean. 

This is how it's come into play.  My siblings and I are sorting through Mom's house.  Picking and choosing what we want and don't want.  I find I am very sentimental, and a wee bit of a pack rat.  List that in the category of understatements of the century

Now, cleaning out a whole house has taught me to pitch things unmercifully.  But when I get down to old china, bits of lace, vases, vintage jewelry and sturdy old chairs I'm a gonner.  People keep saying the younger generation does not collect things like we do.  I have to object to being lumped with the older generation.  But, in reality, I guess I belong with that group. I know when I was the younger generation I could not find the value in these older items.  Now that I'm older I do.  Perhaps because I recognize that compared to the old things, I'm still a young thing.  See?  It can get complicated.

Thankfully Reno doesn't freak when I line up truck loads of sentimental items to bring home.  Thankfully, the dogs love me regardless of what I do.  Thankfully, I feel ties to this history.....and I indulge them. 

No comments: