Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Stop and Smell the Roses

Most of us are familiar with the phrase.....take time to stop and smell the roses.....  Lately, I've been altering that phrase.  I'm taking time to stop and kiss Mr. Hanky.  Truth be told, this is a good reminder for all of us to pause and appreciate, to lavish our love on those important to us.

Mr. Hanky has been with us not quite a year.  Of late, there are noticeable changes in the leg his tumor is in.  This of course brings out the many sides of me....the worrier, the nurturer, the optimist, and sometimes even the pessimist.  All those "in the head" conversations.  How much time is left? Have we used up all the good days? How do we keep him comfortable?  How will we know when it's best to let him go? Knowing how stoic they are, is he hurting and we don't know it?

The logical side of me knows I can handle this.  Knows it won't be easy, but can be done.  The other side of me isn't so sure. 

Until then I plan to stop and love up on the Hankster every chance I get.  I'll accept this lesson to slow down a bit.  To love up more.  To laugh at his silly pointer antics.  To tolerate the times he tramples me on the bed, and to disburse treats more generously.

Who knew the roses in life would come with cold noses and fur?  At one time I may not have, but I do now. 

No comments: