Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Random Dog Thots

I remember a time, probably when I was in my twenties, that I used to snicker because my neighbor would walk to the curb in her bathrobe to get her newspaper.  I think of Mrs. W. when I take Sophie out late at night, or first thing in the morning wearing, you guessed it, my bathrobe. Red fuzzy robe, hot pink croc's, hair askew....no doubt a sight to behold.  Usually I only go out like that if it's dark.  Sometimes in the morning it's semi-dark.   I figure because I'm sleepy that everyone else is sleeping too.  Lordy, I hope so. 

You know how dogs love to roll in stinky, smelly gifts from other animals?  Mick found some decaying delight in the yard today and rubbed in it.  I could tell because it was on his shoulder.  Well, Sophie have liked his pheromones so she was rubbing on Mick.  I'm sure she was saying "oh baby, what's that smell!"

She finally got Mick into a rousing game of tag tonight.  They raced up and down the stairs, growling and barking like mortal enemies.  I rather love the thunder of their paws on the stairs.

I had one of those hard phone calls the other night.  Being the only volunteer for Pointer Rescue in this state people often call when looking to rehome their dogs.  Most are fairly straight forward conversations.  This was not one of them.  It was the case of an owner with a dog with aggression issues.   An owner who had done all the right things to socialize her dog, to retrain her dog, to deal with the dog's issues.  She'd worked with animal behaviorists, and her vet to find underlying issues and workable solutions.  Still, she was facing the sorrow of rehoming a difficult to place dog, or euthanizing it for the safely of her kids.  It was not a win-win situation.  It was heartbreaking.  I could only hope I had the words to help this woman with her decisions.  I was a last ditch effort to find an impossible solution.  This too is part of rescue, a part that tears us apart. 

As I love up on Mick, Hank and Sophie I think about this woman.  I know the choices she faces from past experience.  So I listened for a long time as she poured out her sorrow and fear.  And I pray, I gave her some strength to make the right choices. 

No comments: