Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dragging the Line


We are at that stage in the Invisible Fence training that I have to let go. You know how hard letting go is. Letting go involves trust, it requires faith. Plus I know that I can never out run a pointer. Never in a zillion years.

But it's time for Ms. Sophie to drag the leash. We've trained on just the tone, then we trained on the tone and the correction. My thanks to the rabbits and squirrels of the neighborhood for their help with her training. Without them she never would have tested the boundary.

Mind you, she has her best training sessions after dark. Which worries me because I can't see the flags very well after dark. There is a bunny hop in the back yard every night after dark. Sophie loves that time of night, she must have been a nocturnal animal in another life.

Today she dragged the leash and out she went. She keep looking back to find me as if to say "hey, lady, can't you keep up"?" She went out back, stopped, sniffed the leash and then bolted back to the house. Second trip out she went out pottied and bolted back to the house. Third time she got out to the back yard saw Scary Man, and then bolted back. I should enjoy this time, because it won't be long before she adjusts and won't want to come back in.

She's learning and I'm learning. She's got a yard to explore and I've got to let her. Dragging the line is another baby step to her finding a wonderful forever home. Plus, it the God's of adoption want her to stay with us a little longer at least she'll enjoy the yard without her constant chaperon.

No comments: