Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Temperament

I have had so many people comment about the temperament of my pointers. I suppose you are wondering if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I wonder what they are really expecting? Aside from our little anal retentive foster, who shall remain nameless, that leaves Mick and Hank. They are fairly bomb proof in public.

I've taken both boys to do pet therapy visits at a local hospital. People are amazed at how laid back, low key, tolerant, and how their tails never stop wagging. I wonder if the fact that I expect nothing less factors in. I like to think their low key, roll with the punches persona, or should I say dogma, reflects my approach to life.

Perhaps it's just their breed. I think temperament wise pointers are very similar to lab's and Golden's. Some are high energy, some are complete goof balls, some are couch potato's, some are hunting machines. All are great family dogs.

I dig the tail wagging part. If I had a tail I'd wag it nonstop too. Well, I do have a tail of sorts and it does wag in it's own way. I think I'll stop with that comment before I dig myself in any deeper.

What I'm trying to say is temperament matters. It is important in pets, and in people. Surround yourself with good ones, and life gets easier. And who wouldn't like life to be a little bit easier.

No comments: