Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Testing 1-2-3

There are lots of different tests we experience, school tests, relationship tests, training tests, driver education tests. Testing my patience is one I keep getting. I must be remedial. We are tested to see how calm and cool we are under pressure. Which, like today, was a laughable event.

I walked around the side yard to discover Mick on point. Now, there are several ways to point. Some are classic, some are hilarious. I found him in the hosta's, locked on point with only his butt and tail showing. If only I'd had my camera with me. Within seconds out shoots a baby bunny and it was game on. Hank and Mick chased it toward the front door through the shrubs and back into hosta's. Commence screaming. Out shoots the bunny again only to be scooped up by Mickey. At this point both the bunny and I are screaming. Not exactly an exhibition of grace under pressure. Definitely a test of verbal commands for the dogs. DROP IT I yell at Mick who does just that. Of course, then Hank swoops in and snags the bunny. Shifting gears I start yelling at Hank....you may have heard me. A rapid fire volley of commands is never a good thing. I doubt their pointer brains could register all the babble coming out of my mouth. I headed for the door and to their credit they both came. Of course, Hank still had the rabbit. He had the good grace to drop it and step over it to come inside - anything to get me to shut up I'm sure. If they could have put their paws over their ears I think they would have. Phfeewwww, crisis over. Well, not for the bunny. RIP little bunny.

Now, some folk just don't test well. Like me in the heat of the moment. Sophie has had several meet n greets lately, but just doesn't test well. I feel bad no one gets to see the sweetheart she is. It takes time to see the real her. I hope and pray someone can see past the present into a wonderful future with her.

Maybe, just maybe, she will pass the "I'm So Lovable" test. Until then, she can stay with us. It's okay Sophie, your forever home will find you just as surely tests will find us.

No comments: