Friday, February 13, 2009

MR. MOVE OVER!!!!

About 3:30 this morning I let the dogs out. I was moving on sleepy feet. They, thankfully, did their business and came right back racing for sleeping positions. I crawled in bed, wrapped myself in a cocoon of comfort and was drifting off to sleep. I heard, from a sleepy distance, the thunder of Sidney feet barrelling up the stairs.

Boom! He hits the bed at full tilt. Wiggles his way up the bed between Reno and I. Paws here, paws there, wiggle, push, stretch, nuzzle, wiggle, prod, stick nose where it doesn't belong. Push a little more, put cold nose in another surprising place, wiggle more, pause briefly, squirm, snort, sigh and rest. For a second. Wiggle and move from completely stretched out, into a ball. Mind you, there was perhaps 4 inches of space between Reno and I when Sidney barged in!

If we weren't trying to sleep it would have been hilarious. Sidney is like a toddler in bed. Short of hogging the blankets and needing a drink of water he reminds me of one of my son's as a child. I guess we're lucky he's not a Great Dane.

Maybe it's a young dog approach to sleeping in bed. Maybe he will always be this way. Makes me appreciate Maddie who moves from one side of the bed to the other according to my sleeping position, and Mickey who moves when you barely touch him with a toe. Sidney, aka Mr. Move Over, has a lot to learn about bedroom etiquette. But in terms of sheer "here I am, pardon me, don't mind my nose, coming through, make way, move over, let me just squeeze in" Sidney takes the cake.

No comments: