Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Dear Santa

I'm writing today because I know you can relate.  We are expecting 7-9 inches of snow today and it feels like the North Pole out there.

It's that time of year again, but I'm having a little trouble getting into the spirit.  Basically it's been a rough year full of personal losses and financial challenges.  So while I know down the road I'll be a better person for these experiences right now it's weighing heavy on my heart. 

At this point you're probably thinking I should be writing to the big guy upstairs rather than to the fat man at the North Pole.  In a way you are one in the same.  You are both about believing, magic and surprises. You are both about looking forward not back.  You both encourage us to open our hearts.  You are both definitely totally about gifts.

I also know, compared to others, my losses have been small.  But frankly, I miss my Mom and am sad we let so many issues keep us from being close.  I miss Sidney, Kobe and Maddie.  Hank still looks for those other bowls to clean after eating.  Maddie and Kobe generally left some goodies and Hank was more than willing to clean up. 

Money has been a worry even when I know we have so much more than some people.  I  shouldn't even mention that, because I don't want to jinx us, or be ungrateful. 

Lest you think this is a pity party I'm having, please know it's not.  We have our health, the 3 "f's" (faith family and friends), a roof over our head and infinite talents.  I'm not writing to ask for things, but to be able to give during the holiday season and all the other seasons of life. 

I am asking for a liberal dose of Ho-Ho-Ho and Merry Christmas.  I'm asking for Joy to the World.  And some Fa-la-la-la-la wouldn't hurt either.  I'm longing for some Go Tell It On The Mountain, some Mary Did You Know and some Allelulia. 

And, last but not least, Santa, I've been good, really good.  Well, except when I was being bad.  But I know you are a forgiving soul.  So perhaps you could provide a little magic and wonder for my heart, so I can pay it forward to others. 

One other thing, Santa......should I leave milk and cookies?  Or would you prefer Scotch on the rocks.  A little indulgence can be a good thing sometimes. 

No comments: