Saturday, December 12, 2009

Hand-Me-Downs....

What was better than a wealthy Aunt & Uncle with a daughter about one year older than you?  Not much, that meant a steady supply of sweet hand-me-downs.  Of course the flip side was a bag full of hand-me-downs of slightly shabby clothing that really wasn't any help at all.  Goodies like that could be a blessing, or a challenge to our level of gratitude.

Mr. Hanky was the benefactor of some hand-me-downs.  It's seems Manny the Greyhound had a lovely (and warm) coat in his wardrobe that just was too small for him.  He also received a white pull-over sweater with a shamrock on it.  I think the sweater is best suited in size to a corgi than either Micky or Manny.  Although I would have like to see them try to wrestle Manny into that sweater just once - lol.   Over the dog years,  I've shared Gentle Leaders, crates, collars, bones, baby gates, and all sorts of canine supplies.  But I've never gotten coats for my pups.  Although, once I altered a sweatshirt for Mr. Mickey.  He and I both agreed I did not miss a calling as a seamstress.  There were multiple issues, both in engineering and production on that idea.  Getting it on him was best described as mission impossible.

So, luckily for us, Manny had a coat he couldn't use.  And lucky for Hank, Manny's Mom takes good care of me.  So now we own a lovely red dog coat.  Real dogs say they don't wear coats, just like real men don't eat quiche.  But, I know one pointer who was toasty warm in that lovely red coat today,

You gotta love dog owners.  They will give you the coat off their dog's back.  Hand-me-downs, hand-me-ups, hand-me-overs.....all ways to help one another.  Now doesn't that just give you warm fuzzies.   And if anyone knows an Irish Corgi that needs a St. Paddy's day sweater I have just the one for them....

No comments: