Thursday, December 17, 2009

It's a Wonderful Life

There is a customer I see in the store quite regularly.  His name is one in the same as the actor in the old movie It's A Wonderful Life.  Those of you who are old enough will know who I mean.  He positively beams when he says what his name is.

He comes in to buy marbles and flat gems to decorate bowling balls with.  So it probably goes without saying he's a retired man with a hobby.  Not everyone can see the beauty in an old bowling ball covered with marbles, but he does.  He's quite proud of them.  Plus it makes a pretty solid yard ornament.  Hail and wind proof which is good in Nebraska.

He was waiting for me when I got to work today to show me his, ahhemmmm, balls.  He had a dozen of them in his pick-up truck in a specially made rack to display/transport them in.  He was delivering three of them today.  I can't remember the last time I saw someone so proud of his balls. 

Here is the deal, I don't know this guys story, but I know the delight he takes in his hobby.  In a world that is often jaded and discouraging there are not enough men like him.  He found a mission in life, and made it his passion. 

He'd probably be the first to tell you it's a wonderful life.  I'd like to be the second. 

No comments: