Monday, April 27, 2009

Multi Tasking

There are activities where multi tasking works and there are activities where it doesn't. Those that don't work are usually quite a surprise. They shouldn't be, but they are.

Here is an example. I was taking Hank out for a spin around the yard. Since invisible fence training hasn't started yet, we visit the yard on a flexi-leash. The first lesson is that one should not take their eyes off the dog on the leash. This is important for many reasons, especially for seeing when a dog is about to bolt. The second lesson is also important. Do not compromise your center of gravity with said dog on the flexi-leash. So, a case where you multi task and take both your eyes off the dog and short change your center of gravity is not a good situation. Do I honor this knowledge - well, not as well as I should.

I stopped moving , because Hank stopped moving. And I saw, in the moment of stillness, several weeds in the bed just aching to be pulled. So I squatted down and proceeded to pull weeds. One, two, three Whoa!!!! I don't know what Hank saw. I do know he was off like a rocket, hit the end of the leash and I was suddenly on my knees in the muddy garden before I knew what happened! I'm not even sure what words came out of my mouth, although I bet there were colorful. I do know I am happy I landed on wet soft earth. That was better than pavement would have been. And, I know I held on to the leash - even though there was several feet of pointer driven forward movement before I hit the ground. My chiropractor loves when I have impactful moments in life like this one.

Just this morning I was thinking how easy it's been to foster Hank. Ha! And how he hasn't had many hilarious moments. Haha! Too bad we didn't have a video camera rolling. Today's event could be listed under stupid human tricks. So, I won't being weeding and walking again - lesson learned.

No comments: