Saturday, April 4, 2009

Puppy Fix

The only thing better than your own puppy is a friend with a puppy. Wait, maybe that is better than your own puppy.

I called a friend tonight and asked if we could baby sit their 9 wk old yellow lab, Barkley. They weren't going out, so I suggested we bring over pizza and just come and play with Barkley. The evening had all the makings of a perfect evening. It consisted of puppy breath, pizza, wine and good friends. Who need a sofa and chairs when there is a puppy around? Puppies are just the best, in terms of entertainment. And this pup has it all. Dr. Foster's and Smith would be jealous. Granted, I don't want another puppy, but I do want the deluxe puppy set up.

In fact, all week long, I've gotten my puppy fix. Our store dog, Happer, was bred and Barkley was one of the litter. Several of the other eight pups have been in the store this week. In all, I've loved up on Barkley, Charlie, Aspen and Moose. All yellow labs, all totally adorable.

I suppose if I'd wanted a pup, I could have gotten one of this litter too. Much as I love labs, puppies are too much work. Of course, as a foster home, I won't bat an eye at a dog who's never lived indoors before - probably not much different than a pup in some respects.

It's much like being a grandparent (not that I know from experience). I dig loving up on someone else's puppy and then sending them home. I know we're exhausted from playing, I'm sure Barkley is too. When he sleeps in tomorrow morning, our friends have us to thank for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love getting a puppy fix! That was one of the best things about volunteering at pet adoptions. I got to play with puppies for several hours and then go home to my own crew.