Sunday, May 3, 2009

Courtyard Yahtzee

I've been thinking that Kobe would enjoy doing a pet therapy visit. In fact, I know he would. However, he can't walk far, loves laying on a blanket, and doesn't have much stamina. He loves going in the car and seeing people. I've decided a trip to the skilled care center where my Mom is at might just work for him. I'll pack a blanket and hopefully he'll curl up on it while we visit. Honestly, my Mom doesn't really give a hoot for dogs, and could care less if I bring one. Having one of the dogs with when I visit is soothing for me, so that is reason enough to make the effort.

When I visited today I took Mom out to the courtyard for some fresh air. Her world has shrunk, by choice, or chance, over the years to a very small circle. She is a "me, myself and I" person, and that makes me sad. I can't imagine not giving of one self in service to others in any way shape or form. But I digress.

We sat out at the picnic table in the courtyard and I pulled out my old Yahtzee game. It has been years since she played. I invited a couple other residents to play with us. One of the residents could read the dice, but not the scorecard so I kept score for him. We played two games in the warmth of a lovely Spring day. I think a good time was had by all.

And next time I'll take my old Prince with me. And he can hold court once more.

No comments: