Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Spotting

The word spotting has many meanings. Often, it's what happens when I have dinner. Both my oldest son and I have a propensity for dripping, splashing, spilling. Then the term is used in ballet for spotting during a pirouette. A way to focus so that one doesn't get dizzy. I need to do that more often myself.

Of late, we've been spotting Kobe as he descends the stairs. Going down this old boy gets a little too much momentum going. We have a rug as a landing pad, but he does his darnedest to avoid it. Funny how often we avoid help even when we need it. I don't mind giving this old Prince a hand on the stairs. Heck, sometimes we even feed him upstairs so he doesn't have to come to the kitchen. Before too long he'll be lounging in his bed with a bib, a tray and fancy dishes. When he asks for the ambiance of some candlelight I'm drawing the line.

Spotting is a loving hand placed gently for support. It keeps Kobe from skidding into the furniture. It keeps us connected in providing the best care possible for him. Some might say we're towing him down the stairs. I say we're getting him safely from one spot to the next.

Isn't that what love does?

No comments: