Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Holding Hands

I haven't held hands so much in a long, long time.

And it has me thinking. There are many ways to hold hands with someone. When my babies were new, there was the wonder of them latching on with their tiny hand to your finger. That was holding hands. When they were toddlers and needed some extra balance they held your hand. When they were young and learning to stay close, or to cross streets, again I held their hand. I loved holding a child's hand. Such a safe, comfortable feeling.

We hold hands in other ways too, figuratively, and literally. In many ways the dogs hold my hand even though they have no thumbs. Their presence and the comfort they bring in essence holds my hand and makes me whole. My friends, via phone, face book, email - hold my hand in their special way. They make a contact, and in that contact ease my way.

I've spent a lot of time holding my Mom's hand this week. Holding it to support her, comfort her, anchor her. I am the adult this time around and she is the child. And the very least I can do is hold her hand.

Tomorrow, I'll "hold" Hank's hand as he is scheduled for his biopsy. I love it that "happy go lucky Hank" isn't aware of the issues that may affect his health. It weighs heavy on my heart, but his wonderful in the moment way he only knows that life is good.

That is what holding hands is for - to reassure, to connect, to understand that we are not alone. We are better together. Holding hands confirms that.

No comments: