Saturday, May 16, 2009

Lullaby

Since a week ago Thursday, I've spend numerous hours at the hospital with my Mom. Not as many as my brother has, but then he's retired - at least from a paying job.

Many things rolling through the brain, stress of waiting and watching a parent go through surgery and slowly recovering. Trying to balance work, family time, dog time, hospital time, commuting time, sleeping time, down time. You get my drift.

Time in the garden, with Reno, and with the dogs is balm for my soul. Funny how we sometimes need a lullaby to help us relax.

At the hospital, over the intercom, every time a baby is born they play a bar of music from a child's lullaby. What a lovely tribute to life. A little reminder that a new life just began. Something sweet to celebrate. Something to stop the mind for a gentle touch of soothing.

The soft touch of comfort, and hope, and new beginnings. It has given me new respect for lullabies. They aren't just for babies. In fact, they come in many shapes and forms. And yes, we all need them.

1 comment:

Judithsviews said...

I'm sorry, but I understand deeply. My mom was in the hospital all week too - now home but not out of worry. Somehow in the middle of this I was able to save a new life - Thomas - a fabulous black and white pointer - a joy. Hang in there.