Saturday, October 3, 2009

Blessing or Curse - a dog perspective

Geez, I have to tell you what happened today. Oh, btw, it's Hank talking. Mom did it again. I don't know why she does it. She says something about a Blessing of the Animals. But, let me tell you I must be cursed because she keeps taking me to them.

First she puts that red rope thing over my schnozzle. She calls it a Gentle Leader. I try like the dickens to get that dreaded thingy off. She should have one of those strapped over her nose. Bet she wouldn't like it either. Then we go for a car ride. I like that part, except for the rope on my nose.

Then we get to the blessing place. Let me tell you its chaos there. Now, she knows I grumble when strange dogs come to close. Why it's good experience to be in situations like that beats the biscuits out of me. Today Mickey went with me. He was supposed to be a calming essence for me. Mom must be nuts. I love her to pieces, but she simply must have a whacko side.

Oh ya, there are dogs everywhere. Big ones, little ones, ugly ones, did you see the poodle with pink bows on her ears? Her Mom must hate her. Kids everywhere, music, cats in carriers. Mickey about shivered himself out of his coat at the cats. So much for creating a calm aura for me. Thanks Mickey. And, get this, they bring you treats. But, who can eat at a time like this??? Are you kidding me? I think Mom still has 'em in her pocket, I hope so.

Then as if it isn't stressful enough you have to just stand around and look cute, with a rope around your nose, for about 30 minutes. Oh my liver treats, it's nearly impossible. At least we stayed near the back. I think she called it the juvenile delinquent section. Must be a special area for the really handsome boys like us. We were in good company, there was another pup from the local shelter who preferred the special back area. There was a horse too, thank God they don't like to sniff butts.

There were some good moments. Those nice little boys just loved me. The one with his Russian turtle in a fleece pouch was adorable. But, why doesn't Mom carry me around in a cozy fleece pouch? I'm still not sure I got any blessings. A man in a long robe prayed for my health and comfort. If health and comfort don't come in the form a liver treat I doubt I got any.

It was exhausting, but we got through it. If Mom came away feeling blessed then wearing the red rope on my nose is all worth it. Now leave me alone. I'm one tired dog and it's nap time.

No comments: