Monday, October 5, 2009

Oldies But Goodies

I've been taking my dogs to the local pet blessing for ten years now. First time I went was when my lab, Abby, was about 3 months old.

At first I was enamoured with the puppies when I would go. Face it, we all have a soft spot for puppies. Now I find it's not the puppies that touch my heart so much as it is the old dogs.

Perhaps sharing life with an old dog gives me special insight to them. Of course, Kobe probably doesn't know he's old. But as we help him down the stairs every time I know. I know when he stumbles, or struggles to get up, or when he lays down and it's one clumsy shift in position that in his race through life age is about to pull ahead.

So when I see old pets at blessing events, I smile in my heart. While everyone loves a puppy, it's a special person who adores their senior. I have to ask God to bless every hair on my old guys body. Bless his tail that wags, his zest for life (at least for his kibble!) his love for me. He does love his Mommy. Bless his heart and steps in the days ahead.

Oldies but goodies, need I say more?

No comments: