Thursday, October 2, 2008

Be Good

I'm going to New York for the weekend. I trust the city is ready for me. And, I hope the dogs are good while I'm gone. It's so much like leaving your children - very difficult to do.

I asked them if they'd miss me while I was gone, and if they'd be good. I was told that miss is a relative term. And to define good. I think that means yes to both questions. Truth is they probably won't miss me. Perhaps won't even know I'm gone. I know I'll miss them.

So I have to wonder if Pete will remember me when I get to see him this weekend? Will some memory of his days here come back to him. He's a big city dog now, but his roots are in the Midwest. Will he remember liver treats (OMG Liver Treats)? Will he remember the comforts he learned here. Will he remember the love and healing?

Maybe it's not about specific memories, but about general feelings of being loved. If we give nothing else, as parents, foster Mom's, friends, spouses, significant others, coworkers. Let it be the general feeling of being loved and excepted.

Sure, some of you are saying h*ll no, I don't love my coworkers. Some days it's hard to love ourselves. But in some ways we are all the same - longing to be connected, to be cared for, valued. And in some ways we are vastly, profoundly different.

Part of my trip to NYC will include attending a Blessing of the Animals. Indeed, animals are so blessed, as are they who share their life. I'm not taking any of my dogs with me, but I'll carry a whole pack in my heart. Abby, Fancy, Mickey, Kobe, Maddie, and Sidney will be with me in spirit.

It will be good to go, to see Pete, to pray among other animals lovers for the pets who color our lives. I'll be good. And I trust they will too.

1 comment:

Pat H said...

I hope you have a great trip.
Your babies are going to miss you!
Give them big hugs and kisses and treats when you return.
Bless them all.

Pat, Koty and Thor