Monday, October 13, 2008

Yap Happy

Some dogs run silently through the yard. Not so with Sidney.

He runs yapping to and fro. Not yipping like a little dog. Mind you, no offense to the little dogs of the world. Not even barking per se. He makes noises of excitement. And in his excitement he just has to be auditory. Little yaps, tiny whines and a whole lot of "look at me I can run like crazy" energy packed into a lemon and white pointer.

For a pup who spent nine months in a four run rural shelter with over twenty dogs, I figure he can yap all he wants. And he can run all he wants too.

He has full run of the yard now - he's mastered the invisible fence. He has moved by baby steps, and by giant leaps and bounds, into a healthy happy dog. He still has a few skittish moments. A far cry from the terrified animal that came into foster care here a couple months ago.

If I had travelled as far as he has, I'd yap too. And that noise, like his, would be the sound of pure joy.

No comments: