Thursday, October 30, 2008

Why Do They Ask

Why do they ask if they don't want an honest answer -or- maybe my response wasn't as funny as I thought.

My credit card company called me today. Actually it was my account manager. To be honest I haven't been using my card much and I think she was worried about me. Either way, she introduced herself and wanted to know how they could serve me better and what I'd like from my card. Without pause, I said I'd really like my card better if it had a zero balance. "A zero balance?" came the cold response. I replied yes, I'd like it better if it had a zero balance, and I laughed at the thought, and said, but I don't supposed you could help me with that.

There was a long, long pause.....followed by a labored sigh. I was thinking at that point my account manager must be having a bad day/week/month or lifetime. Maybe she's heard comments like that one to many times. If so, I apologize.

I also took that as a sign to end the conversation before I dug a bigger hole and they decided to double my interest rate. And really, I understand that sometimes you get lame jokes in the line of business. Can't tell you how many times this week people have made jokes when we tell them that Halloween costumes, accessories, and make-up are not returnable or exchangeable. We're just doing our job, like the account manager was doing hers. But, honestly, she asked first.

No comments: