Saturday, October 25, 2008

Opening Day

My favorite boys, well two of them, are out hunting this morning. It's opening day of pheasant season. I have to admit I rather envy them.

I used to hunt with my Dad and brothers when I was young. I felt kind of torn about that, wanting to be with the men in the family and wanting to be the little lady my Mom hoped for. In the end, walking the fields won out. Getting up at 4am, packing lunches, layering on the warm clothing, hitting the fields and railroad tracks at sunrise. Back then you could hunt the tracks. I remember always being afraid a train would somehow sneak up on me.

Granted potty breaks were a little problematic being the only girl in the group. But otherwise I was just one of the guys. I have a wonderful photograph of my brother and I in the field when I was probably 15 yrs old. Those were the days.

My son would rather hunt than do anything else. His dream job would be to work on a hunting preserve, we just have to find him that job. My Dad must smile from the heavens on him today and every other day of hunting. They never met, but they have the same love of the sport.

Funny thing is, once I had kids, I never got back out in the field again. Maybe some day I will. Someday I need to do that. What a kick it would be to hunt with my son. We never hunted with dogs back then, now we'd have several which would make it even more fun.

When you think of it, each day is opening day for us. A chance to start again, to do something we love, to make time for our bliss. So for those hunting today I say, be safe, have fun, find the beauty in your walk in life and with nature. Happy hunting. My Dad and I are with you in spirit.

No comments: