Monday, October 20, 2008

Black Dog - Orange Collar

As much as she would probably hate to admit it, my daughter is a lot like me. Granted, shes 21 and wears a Mohawk, and I'm 50 and wouldn't be caught dead in one, but our hearts are of the same maker.

She was telling me that recently a neighbor came to her door and asked if they had a large black lab with an orange collar. She said yes. The neighbor said Decoy was loose and heading down the block. He's having trouble understanding the whole stay inside the fence concept. So off she goes yelling and running after him.

Down the block and through the intersection they both run. She's calling his name, and no response whatsoever. You know that selective hearing dogs can have. She gets up to the dog, who cringes and cowers on her approach and she snags it by the collar. Only then to realize the dog in her grasp is not Decoy at all. Her response at that point is oh crap, now what do I do?

As she ponders this, and heads back up the hill, with reluctant dog in tow, a man starts yelling, don't let that dog go!!! The owner of the other black lab in the neighborhood was approaching.

Now maybe Decoy wanders because of a lovely female black lab named Sugar in the neighborhood. Or maybe his nose just gets the best of him. What make me smile is that my daughter is more like me than not. And we've been a long time getting to that point. And it's nice to know that good people run after their dogs, or dogs who just look like their dogs.

No comments: