Saturday, November 1, 2008

Surprise Surprise

I pulled off a multi-state, multi family cross country surprise party. Yes, it was here, but all the guests were from out-of-town. Seventeen people representing six different states converged yesterday for an early 50th birthday party for Reno. This party has been in the works since June and miraculously no one let it slip. No easy task that.

Everyone arrived yesterday and some will stay until Tuesday. Yes, I am crazy. Good thing I like to cook. I've been shopping (and stashing) stuff for this party for about a month now. When I ran out of places in the house to hide things, I started visiting my girlfriend regularly. She has another refrigerator and counter space. I started sending emails to my gf's to tell them where I'd stashed stuff. On the off chance when it came time to get it out my brain was mush and I couldn't remember.

And the surprise part??? It came off without a hitch. And what a surprise. Frankly, I don't much like surprise parties - well, if they are for me that is. What a blessing that so many people came from so far, and to Nebraska on top of it! I have received several comments like - gee, it's really flat here isn't it. And, wow, where is the traffic, the roads are empty. Welcome to Nebraska.

I'd write more, but frankly, I better get back to the kitchen and start prepping for tomorrow's Thanksgiving Dinner. I figured if I have to feed the masses we might just as well have a feast. After Tuesday I may never cook again. Or at least, I'll know the catering business is not for me.

No comments: