Monday, August 11, 2008

Old Dogs

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. I beg to differ. I've seen that happen and I believe an old dog can teach us new tricks.



My old dog - Kobe - who's age is anyone's guess teaches me things all the time. He's struggling with some health issues. If only they could tell us how they feel in words. Since they don't, I have to read behind the lines.



I know dogs are stoic, they rarely let on to how big a world of hurt they are in. So when they do whimper, or cry, I know it has to be bad. Time is gonna tell with Kobe, whether he's got a simple injury, that will heal with time and rest, or something else going on. We're in that wait and see mode. I suck at wait and see.



I'd do anything for this boy, and yet all I really need to do is keep him comfortable. Comfort and dignity are my mission with him. He is all heart, wrapped in fur, blessed with a gentle spirit. He has no bottom teeth, scars aplenty, arthritis in his front knees that makes me cringe. The instability in his back end puts extra stress on a shakey front end. So while I know his days may be numbered, I know my love for him is not.



Keep this old boy in your prayers please. Bless his achey bones, and his beautiful spirit. And may I know how to best care for him, even if that means letting him go.

No comments: