Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sit Ubu Sit

Sit happens. I sit therefore I am. I came, I sat, I conquered.

Sit has been a tough command for Sidney. This boy has buns of steel, and a will to not be pressed to do anything he doesn't want to. That's almost a female characteristic, but that's another blog. Not to worry, Sidney's all boy.

When stumped with a training technique - I quiz others. I'm no genius in dog training. I'm not a professional, and every foster dog is different. Sidney is learning to trust, and I'm learning what works with Sidney.

I got some great tips in working with a reluctant sitter. First of all, up the ante. Word was, be certain I'm using the best treat in the whole wide world. Now that depends on the dog. Sidney will work for cheese, but meat is even better. So this week it was little bits of chicken breast, and some tiny bites of flank steak. I'm thinking a cheap hot dog might have worked too, but thankfully our cheap hot dogs days are few and far between.

He has shown great progress, and sit is happening!!! He's getting the idea. And that is half the battle. If you've heard a lot of "Yea's and good dogs, and good sits, and whohoo's", it's been me.

Funny how far a treat, and some happy words will go. It works for dogs, it works for kids, it works for adults too. Try it - and let me know how it goes.

No comments: