Monday, August 18, 2008

Thank You Daddy

When it comes to words that can melt a heart I imagine thank you Daddy is one of them.

Reno's kids visited us last week. Nothing could have made him happier. I admit to being spoiled, my kids have always lived in the same town as I have. His time with them last week was nothing short of sacred.

For kids who live on the west Coast, the allure of a week in Nebraska had to be rather lacking in just that, allure. At that same age, I probably would have felt the same way. Being much older, and having lost my Father years ago, I envied them time with dear 'ol Dad. It was precious time, and hopefully some day they will understand what it meant to him. Perhaps they do already.

It was an honor to have his kids here, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I wanted it to be perfect for them in every single aspect. Of course, it wasn't, but that's life. It's messy, sometimes smelly, funny, tiring, uncomfortable, enjoyable, peaceful and so much more. It changes from moment-to-moment.

I know he misses them as much as he loves them. Which makes him the kind of Dad he is. When they aren't here the conversation is often about them. We think of them so often, pray for them, hope for them, worry about them.

I hope the memories made last week will be treasured wherever life takes them. And I hope life takes them here often, and us there often. They complete his heart, and distance cannot change that.

Anything that starts and ends with Daddy - is music to his ears. Even if it's Daddy I need some money, or Daddy I have a problem. These kids make this Daddy whole and I thank them from the bottom of my heart for that.

No comments: