Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sid The Hunter

Sidney joined us as a foster dog just two weeks ago. I never cease to be amazed at how fast we (humans and animals) can learn when the situation blesses us in all manners. Granted, trials can be blessings in disguise.

Sidney's disguise was a cape of timidity. He was afraid of nearly everything. Noises, doors, leashes, treats.....you name it, he was suspicious of it. He has turned almost full circle in two weeks, or would that be 6 circles? He'd have to be a traditional 3 circles before he lays down kinda dog to do that. And basically, we're still learning what kind of dog he is. Basically, I think he is learning that very same thing.

He is a hunter, perhaps naturally so because he's a pointer. But I think he's got special skills. He tried to track the path of a butterfly today. I was impressed, that's not easy to do. Luckily, for the butterfly, he was on a 10 foot lead, so the butterfly got to simply flutter by. He's scoped out where the rabbits usually lay and points, he watches for the squirrels. He is being a dog in a joyful kind of way. Luckily, tonight when I went to take him out on lead, I hooked up Kobe, my senior lemon and white pointer instead of Sid. I opened the door and whoosh - out they went. In a panic I went for help then running to find Sid the Hunter. Thankfully, he was locked on point at the edge of the yard. Phfewwww!!


The irony, of this is that volunteers hunted for 9 months to find him a way out of a horrible shelter in Western Oklahoma. It seems fitting that their hunt for a second chance for Sidney would yield a happy hunter.

Whether he ever makes it out in the field to hunt matters not. He hunts because his instincts tell him too. And gratefully, he's opening up enough to be his best self. Seeing him point, hunt, simply play and soak up the attention is all one could hope for.



Was a time he was Timid Sid, now he's growing into a Sid the Hunter. Good growth for a shy Okie Boy if I do say so myself.

No comments: