Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Division of Labor

I'm guessing people do their great thinking under many circumstances. Some while running or walking, some in quiet prayer, some in the softness of the dawn in the company of good coffee. Some in absolute silence. Some by writing. I seem to do mine while scooping poop.

In this task a profound thought came to me. There is an unfair division of labor at my house with regard to cleaning the yard. Now, there is also an unfair division of organizational skills at my house, so I can't gripe too much. One of us is very organized, one of us slightly less organized. One of us is learning to deal with that. I used to be quite reactive to Reno's swoops of organizational activity. As much as I hate to admit it, he makes good choices on this stuff. Sure my way worked. I knew where the stuff was - in a general way. Now we know where it is in a specific way. It's all good.

I'm wondering if I exercised some organization activity, if he'd exercise some yard cleaning activity. Ideally, for every 2 1/2 bags I scoop, he'd scoop 1 1/2 bags. I'm sure we can find a happy balance on this.

Poop happens. In a multi-dog family it happens a lot. Good relationships require compromise, negotiations (and renegotiation's), and a fair division of labor. He wouldn't want me to tax myself too much and possibly get hurt scooping poop. And I wouldn't want him to miss an opportunity to connect with nature, spend time with the dogs, and perhaps experience profound thoughts and happy satisfaction in the process.

I'll even get the bags and scooper ready for him. I'm just that kind of gal. Thoughtful to a fault.

No comments: