Sunday, January 11, 2009

Someone's in the Kitchen

There is a really creative cook in the kitchen. And guess what? It's not me.

Yes, I'm a really good cook. I can improvise (read substitute), make a mean soup (thanks to the soup bag in the freezer), specialize (have you tasted my Trifle?) Wow, that sounds like a really personal question. I can search out new recipes, purchase odd vegetables and find ways to cook them. Sometimes things work out terrific. Sometimes, just so-so. The meatloaf from last week is a wonderful example.

Reno gets the bonus points for presentation. Presentation takes creativity. Now, he will deny (rather vehemently, I might add) that he's creative. He'll say he's a common hack who counts beans for a living. I swear the guy should have been in theatre. He can be a real Drama King - and I mean that in the nicest possible way. And while he may count beans, he can also serve them up with a flourish. For example, breakfast this morning was chorizo with scrambled eggs served in roasted red pepper rings. Danged impressive.

As we enjoyed breakfast we reminisced about cooking for children. Cutting a whole from the center of bread and cooking an egg in it. Presentation counts and it is chock full of creativity.

Maybe our challenge today, or this week, is to work on presentation. To let ourselves be creative (a little, or a lot), to have some fun, and in the process make some memories. That's not only making breakfast it's making something special. Nourishment for the body, the spirit and the soul.

No comments: