Thursday, January 29, 2009

Famous Last Words

Don't you love how when you utter the words "my dog never...." or "my dog always" that it creates the universal energy needed for that to change. Often times it makes you look like a fool, other times, the irony is just amusing.

Case in point. Just yesterday I was talking about Sidney. I was saying that in the mornings he's taken to laying on the bed with Mickey and Maddie while we are getting ready for work. But that at night he always sleeps on the couch. Sidney does love the couch. In fact, if someone else lays on it and there is no room for him, he doesn't know what to do with himself. The fact that I used the word "never" in the discussion brought about the cosmic change. Be careful how you use this word.

Here is how it played out. We are snuggled into bed, weary from our day. Talking somewhat sleepily right before we drift off to la-la-land. A dog is doing a little pre-sleep grooming, which is one of Reno's pet "pet" peeves. He says who's licking? I can feel the offender curled up right behind my knees. I nudge the licker with a foot. Licking continues. Who's licking? I say it's Maddie. Reno says Maddie go away. Maddie gets up from her position at the small of my back and leaves. So, if Maddie was the licker and she leaves the bed, who's still licking? I laugh and say, oh, sorry Maddie it must be Mickey licking. Reno says no, Mick is right here looking at me.

One could probably see the puzzled look on my face as I process this. If it wasn't Mick, and it wasn't Maddie, then we indeed had another dog in bed with us. Lo and behold Sidney had put on his stealth pointer mask and tested out the night time sleeping arrangements. Normally, as Reno says, Sidney is like a bear cub on roller skates. You always hear him when he comes into the room. He makes an entrance like only a young dog can.

Now, he has a lot to learn about finding a sleep able place in the bed with us. Such as at the foot of the bed, or on the sides of the bed. In his defense, he is quite the snuggler. He wanted to be right between us. He lasted there for about an hour or so. Then he went back to his sofa. That was fine by us.

I suspect he'll visit us again at night. Possibly just because I used the word "always" or "never", but also because he's learning the finer things in life. He is a life-time away from that bitterly cold shelter in Oklahoma and we want him to soak up the good life in Nebraska.

No comments: